PHOTOS OF LIFE IN IRELAND
Part of a series of pictures from Ireland

Tuesday, July 15, 2008

West Wicklow...13 July '08 (Part 1)

Sunday 13 July '08 was one of the few really good days of this summer and I took the opportunity to drive around West Wicklow where I took the photos on this page.







The two photos above are from the side of a hill near Donard. You can clearly see the remains of stone-walled old roads where, long ago, you could hear the rattle of horse's and donkey's carts as they passed by with farm produce or, perhaps, taking an emigrant to the main road (N81) to catch the bus on their way to Britain or America never to return.
These old roads and the remains of some stone dwellings are now smothered by mature Pine trees planted by Coillte ...the national agency for forestry.
Looking at the old ruins reminded me of the song 'Among the Wicklow Hills' the lyrics of which are below.

I just received a letter from my home in Ire-land.
The scribble so familiar...t'was my mother's feeble hand.
A house that rang with music and with laughter now is still.
Dear Danny it's so lonely now among the Wicklow hills.

(Chorus)
As I gaze across the mountains I relive a moment's joy.
The same old Wicklow mountains where you rambled as a boy.
Your photo as a child...that picture's by my bedside still.
And, each night I pray that you'll come back home among the Wicklow hills.

Do you remember long ago when in Summer you would stroll...
Down where the crystal mountain streams to the Slaney's water roll.
Do you recall the young companion who talks about you still.
And you know who she's waiting for among the Wicklow hills.

(Chorus)
As I gaze across the mountains I relive a moment's joy.
The same old Wicklow mountains where you rambled as a boy.
Your photo as a child...that picture's by my bedside still.
And, each night I pray that you'll come back home among the Wicklow hills.


And here you can see Larry Cunningham sing it:








The butt of a huge tree at Castleruddery Circle.



This is just some of the stones in the Stone Circle at Castleruddery.















These are the tracks of where some sort of motorbike 'sport' was taking place. In my opinion, this tranquil area should be off-limits to this type of very noisy activity.



The last six photos are from the Coillte forestry near Donard, County Wicklow.

No comments: